Friday, January 30, 2009

The Non-Dramatical Way to Share 25 Random Things About Myself

1. I am a perfectionist to a fault. Many times I just can't get projects started out of fear that they will not be perfect upon completion, this list included...

2. Law school taught me to be a really decent writer. In fact, it actually taught me to appreciate and love writing. However, because of my perfectionist thing, I have a lot of trouble sitting down to start write anything. Andrew says that I do better when I dictate my thoughts (usually to him) and then do heavy edits of the dictation. Anyone in need of a dictator?

3. I am a voracious reader! I love surrounding myself with my many and varied magazine subscriptions and always need to be reading a book and have one on deck. There is nothing like curling up with a good book, finding the time to do so is a bit harder.

4. I am terrible in the kitchen, inept actually, and I really have no desire to learn to be better. That said, I make awesome toast and sandwiches! Lilah's current favorites are humus avocado, vegan grilled cheese, and hazelnut spread with mixed berry jelly. My kid thinks that I am a wonder in the kitchen - how funny is that??

5. I love shopping, but most of all I love a bargain! There is nothing like scoring a $350 Michael Kors purse for $100 (it was a gift, actaully. Thanks, Mom-Mom!) or a $200 diaper bag for $75. I am currently obsessed with online (invitation only) sample sale websites such as Haute Look, Rue La La and The Mini Social. Check out my blog for more on this: DontBeSoDramatical.blogspot.com.

6. My house must be stocked with Viva and many sizes Ziplock bags at all times. Viva is the wonder towel and I use it to clean everything. Ziplock bags are the most useful little things. Nothing makes me happier than a crisper filled with cut fruits and veggies in individual Ziplocks. Lilah and I are sharing a Ziplock bag full of green beans right now - yummy! (Please note that I am not in any way affiliated with Ziplock nor do I get commission for the amount of times it was mentioned in this Note).

7. I hate waking up before 10AM. When I was pregnant with Lilah, everyone offered lovely snips to the effect of 'kiss your late morning sleep goodbye,' but my kid showed 'em all! Lilah, rise before 10AM, practically unheard of! As I write this, the fear ripples through me that Baby Boy will not be quite so cooperative. Uh oh! What have I done???

8. Lilah's lullabies are quite eclectic and mostly consist of show tune showstoppers. A surefire settle down song is 'My Husband Makes Movies.' Time will tell whether my princess and Barney loving toddler is a musical theatre diva in training...

9. My favorite movie is Beaches and I am not afraid to admit it! The movie has the perfect blend of friendship, kitsch, drama and characters sporadically bursting into song. Mock away, people.

10. When I was a little girl, I hated bedtime - shocker, I still hate bedtime! Anyway, back in the day I used to beg my brother to come and sleep in my room with me and I kept him awake for hours chatting about who-knows-what. Thanks J for being the best!

11. I miss spa days. I long for a 2-hour mani/pedi/brow wax at Kim's on 9th Ave, facials from Yana, and my hour long Sam C. massages. I especially miss when the AEA insurance covered those massages and only required a $10 co-pay and tip. Now, if I am lucky, I escape for a mani/pedi/brow wax quarterly and an annual facial and massage. This lack of time for the true spa experience makes me understand the cheesy old commercial tag line 'Calgon, take me away...'

12. I am allergic to just about everything, especially pets. I love cats, but my allergies prevent me from petting and snuggling with them. I really, strongly dislike dogs and am kind of scared of them, actually. When I was 8, my aunt was attacked by her dog and it totally scarred me. The only dogs that I am cool with are little white dogs like Bijons or Malteses. Andrew thinks that is totally weird and wacky and he is probably correct.

14. I really don't like flowers. Perhaps my dislike of flowers is due to my allergies, or perhaps it is due to my clean aesthetic. I enjoy a beautiful garden as much as the next person, but my real issue with flowers is when they come indoors. Flowers look pretty indoors sometimes, if arranged simply and sparsely. I once told my husband that a single red rose is a way to make a romantic gesture without flaring up the sneezes and I meant it. But, to me, a better way to make a romantic gesture is to watch the kid for an evening so that I can run out and get a mani/pedi/brow wax. Aaaah, sheer bliss!

15. My favorite number and lucky number is 11. I was born on 3/11, Andrew was born on 11/19 and Lilah was born on 11/17. I lived on 47th Street (4+7=11) and then on 38th Street for many years (3+8=11). The last digits of my home phone number are ...65 (6+5=11) and my work number are ...5060 (5+6=11). I can go on and on. Perhaps these are just coincidences, but I'm a believer.

16. I love word games, particularly Scrabble, and can play it for hours! My mom got me addicted to Scrabble as a kid and we have had many a Scrabble marathon over the years.

17. Along with loving Scrabble, I love all board games! Pre-parenthood, Andrew and I hosted regular games nights at our apartment and I really miss those evenings. Pre-Andrew, my love of board games almost got me arrested. True story, Shugs and I were visiting Artie and Danny in LA many years ago and decided to have a Taboo! night. We put some party snacks on the table and started to have our fun. About an hour into the game, there was a pounding at the front door, "Open up, police!" We were like, oh my god what happened? Well, WE happened! Apparently our Taboo! playing was a bit too loud and rowdy for the neighbors and they called in a noise complaint about our 'party'. The ironic thing was that we were completely sober!

18. In college, my roommates and I were obsessed with watching re-runs of Quantum Leap which aired nightly on two different channels. One of us even purchased the Quantum Leap cassette tape with the theme song and lots of Scott Bakula singing. So, one day one of my roommates and I (Brian) drove from Binghamton to Manhattan with a friend to see a show ('How to Succeed...') and then we drove back to school that night because we had an early rehearsal ('Dancing at Lughnasa'). On the way back home, we were really tired and popped my copy of our super-cool Quantum Leap cassette tape into the car stereo. Somehow, the tape got stuck in the cassette player and for 3 very long and tired hours we were stuck listening to it. At one point, the roads completely empty, I began to steer the steering wheel to the beat. Suddenly, a police car appeared in my rearview mirror with its lights flashing. Crap! The officers got of the car and shined flashlights through the driver and passenger-side windows. I rolled down my window. "Can I help you, sir?" I asked knowing that I had not been speeding. "Where are you coming from and where are you going to?" "We were in Manhattan seeing a show and now we're headed back to school in Binghamton." "Did you know that you were swerving, Ma'am?" Oh, I'm sorry. We were singing." The officers continued to shine their lights and eye us up and down. Finally, the dude at my window responded "Well, please stop singing and get their safely!" Now you know my two brushes with law enforcement!

19. I had to ask my husband for help because 25 is a lot of random things to write about myself.

20. Andrew says that every time I sneeze (which is quite often due to the aforementioned allergies) I cover my mouth with my hands and then run my fingers through my hair and he thinks that is totally gross. In fact, as I write about it, it sounds totally gross. But, in my defense, I don't run my boogers through my hair after I sneeze, I simply run my fingers through it to fix it after the sheer force of sneezing multiple times messes with the 'do.

21. I love organizing things - rooms, closets, drawers, baskets, binders, the refrigerator, cabinets, etc. To help me achieve organization heaven, I also love office supplies. I especially love pretty office supplies like those you can find at www.SeeJaneWork.com. Andrew mocks me for putting boxes within boxes and bags within bags, but it makes me so happy to not just organize, but perhaps over-organize. He prefers to throw things in a drawer and let them float freely about. That's why we have separate drawers.

22. I really don't enjoy wearing tights. They feel too costume-y to me. All those years of performing and wearing tights, sometimes even wearing three layers of tights for quick changes, soured me to wearing tights in the real world. I vowed never to subject my little girl to the binding effects of nylons. When we attended a winter wedding last December (mazel tov cousins Lisa and Jason!), I was left with no other choice but to put the kid in tights. So, I went to Denny's and bought her the cotton knit tights rather than get her Capezio -like dancing tights. To my surprise, she liked them! In fact, on really cold days we now use them as a second layer on her legs. She calls them her "soft pants." Who knew?

23. Speaking of binding, this Note would not be complete without discussing my IBS. I have debilitating IBS which basically means that I perpetually feeling like I have rocks in my belly. If you ever think that I am full of crap, I am. Literally.

24. I love being a wife and mom, but strongly dislike being pregnant. I secretly hope that the relief of finishing this Note will cause my water to break so that I can finally meet my little boy.

25. I wrote this over the course of two days. That is way to much time to devote to a Note on Facebook and is indicative of both my addiction to the Facebook and my issue with perfectionism.

Update: I finished the Note and I am still pregnant. Darn it!

No comments: